Swing Patrol's Home Sessions features a huge variety of dance content: Lindy hop, Solo Charleston, Balboa, Shag, sl… https://t.co/Ym3b50FpXb
Learn To Dance In A Day – Lindy Hop 2021
Learn to dance in a day and dazzle your friends with your new moves. This workshop is ideal for those wanting to start dancing and don’t know where to begin. Or those who need a refresher on the basics they learned more than a year ago!
WHEN & WHERE
We’re planning more Dance In A Day workshops, so watch this space for dates and locations.
Date & Time: Saturday 13 March 2021
**Check in 11.45am, starting soon after. Finish 2.15pm**
Venue: St Stephen’s Church Hall – 189 Church St. Newtown NSW 2042
SCHEDULE AND CONTENT
You’ll learn the basics of SIX BEAT swing, EIGHT BEAT Lindy Hop and Lindy CHARLESTON, and we’ll have you dancing by the end of the afternoon.
There’ll be a couple of rest/drink breaks, and lots of fun along the way.
COST AND REGISTERING
$80 Pair Pass (1 Lead & 1 Follow)
Due to on-going hygiene and physical distancing requirements, at this time we must restrict registrations to Pair Passes only, no individual tickets. We will not be changing dance partners throughout the workshop. Your dance partner does not have to be your spouse, your relative, your housemate or best friend – only someone that you are comfortable partner dancing with in this workshop.
When booking a Pair Pass, you will be asked to enter your dance partner’s name and phone number during the booking process. We must collect this information as part of our COVIDSafe Plan, so please be prepared with correct contact details.
Need to find a dance partner? Try posting a comment on the Swing Patrol Sydney Facebook event, or on the Facebook page of your favourite Swing Patrol venue(s).
Attendance is by online registration only. Places are strictly limited due to venue density regulations.
Registrations will close at 9pm on the Friday prior to the workshop.
New dates and booking links coming soon!
Swing Patrol and Covid Safety
Swing Patrol will take the following precautions to prioritize the safety of students, teachers and the wider community.
* DO NOT come to the workshop if you are unwell, if experiencing any Covid symptoms, if you have been in contact with a positive Covid case or have recently been at an identified case location. Refunds will be available if you need to cancel due to illness/Covid Safety.
* QR code check-in is mandatory at the workshop, even if you have pre-booked online. Please have your smart phone with you.
* Everyone will sanitise hands upon entry to and exit from the venue, and there will be a few “designated sanitiser breaks” during the workshop to ensure this is maintained throughout. You may wish to bring your own mini hand sanitiser to use during class, to speed up the process.
* No shared water or food, no water glasses provided, no mints or lollies/snacks. BYO water bottle.
* We ask that you observe and comply with signage displayed at the venue, as we must operate in accordance with St Stephen’s Church Hall’s Covid Safe Plan.
* Face Masks should be worn in accordance with current NSW Government guidelines. Where masks are not mandated, attendees may choose to wear a mask at any time before, during or after class. Note that masks are not recommended when out of breath or puffing from strenuous exercise (eg. dancing) and that masks are less effective when damp. Always handle masks with care and do not dispose of your mask at the venue.
Click here to read more about Swing Patrol’s Covid Safe Plan.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Our Dance in a Day workshop will teach you some introductory moves and technique that will allow you to build your confidence and take your dancing to the social floor.
Whether you’re an absolute beginner, new to swing dancing, or took Level 1 classes in the past and need to brush off the cobwebs, this is where you can find your feet.
WHAT TO BRING
Comfortable shoes (most swing dancers don’t wear heels), deodorant, spare t-shirt, small towel, band aids, hand sanitiser – swing dancing is exercise, and you may well break a sweat, so be prepared.
You must bring your own water bottle. There will be no shared water or food, no water glasses provided, no mints or lollies/snacks on the table.
Lead or Follow?
We will be teaching partnered swing dancing, in which one dances as a Lead or a Follow. We don’t mind which role you do! When you purchase a Pair Pass, for one Lead and one Follow, you decide between you who dances which role.
- Want to know more?
- Swing dancing is a partner dance, in which there’s a Lead and a Follow. The Leader “directs” the dance, indicating the moves and the direction. The Follower responds to the lead, but has room to add personal styling/embellishments. Like jazz/swing music, it’s seen as a “call & response” partnership.
If you equate it to something you may be familiar with, such as Waltz or Quickstep (like Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers), then the male is usually leading and the female following.
At Swing Patrol, we do make every effort to encourage people not to choose which role they learn simply based on their gender, and many people do dance both the lead and follow roles. Choose whichever you wish for this workshop, but it’s easier to stick with the same role throughout the whole lesson.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about these roles.
Cancellations and Refunds
DO NOT come to the workshop if you are unwell, if experiencing any Covid symptoms, if you have been in contact with a positive Covid case or have recently been at an identified case location. If a pre-booking has been made, Swing Patrol will provide a full refund. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If a Teacher is unable to attend due to illness/Covid Safety, and a substitute teacher cannot be found, the workshop may be cancelled at short notice. Students will be contacted via booking information and via social media to advise of workshop cancellation. Pre-bookings will be refunded if Swing Patrol cancels a workshop.
Due to current density restrictions, numbers are strictly limited. Therefore, if you wish to cancel for a reason other than illness/Covid Safety, refunds are not possible without 24 hours notice as we may have turned away other dancers. Thanks for understanding.
Where applicable, a full or partial refund (less administration fee) may be available up to close of registrations, if cancelling for a reason other than illness/Covid Safety. Contact email@example.com
After close of registration, no refunds will be issued, unless cancelling due to illness/Covid Safety.